CRIM 335 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Canadian Human Rights Act, Natural Justice, Nationstates

64 views9 pages

Document Summary

Uste(cid:374)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:374)eeds (cid:894)o"ma(cid:374)i(cid:395)ue: x is (cid:374)e(cid:272)essa(cid:396)(cid:455) fo(cid:396) su(cid:396)(cid:448)i(cid:448)al, the(cid:396)efo(cid:396)e i ought to ha(cid:448)e x(cid:895) If you are a convicted criminal, you may have limited rights. Canadian human rights only apply to canadian citizens. Right to seek x is very different from the right to actually obtain x. Natural law is the foundation of most human rights and civil liberties concepts: traced back to ancient greek philosophers (plato, aristotle), roman legal scholars (cicero, justinian) and then into christian theology (aquinas) Natural justice as distinct from legal justice: natural law is everywhere, transcends time and place, positive law is created by people, conventions and traditions, unique to place and even time. If natural law is everywhere, transcending time/place, then it must apply universally. Coincides with rise of imperialism and as justification for colonization. Universal standards of behaviour imposed on all cultures from a western (european) perspective. Allows the imposition of western ideals around the world in a justified way.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers