SSH 105 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Logical Reasoning, Deductive Reasoning, Ryerson University

129 views3 pages

Document Summary

Professor klaas kraay - ryerson university - fall 2017. Deductive arguments: a deductive argument intends to provide logically conclusive support for the conclusion. Deductive validity: an argument is deductively valid if and only if it is not possible for all the premises to be true and the conclusion false. I. e. , if all the premises were true, the conclusion would have to be true. I. e. , the conclusion logically follows from the premises. I. e. , in a world where the premises are all true, the conclusion is guaranteed to be true as well. **an argument is invalid if and only if it is not valid** Recall: a deductive argument aims to provide logically conclusive support for the conclusion. But not all arguments are deductive: in some cases, premises are intended to give probable support for the conclusion. An argument is cogent if and only if it is not valid, but the premises of the argument are good reasons for the conclusion.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers