ITM 207 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Personal Information Protection And Electronic Documents Act, Professional Boundaries, Attention Economy

54 views7 pages
CMN 124 Reading notes
Chapter 1: Issues and trends in professional communication:
- Communication: A transactional and relational process involving the meaningful exchange
of information
- How you write, speak, and listen on the job reflects who you are professionally, how you
treat others, and how you do business
- Successful communication is learning how to structure your information strategically; using
text, design, and technologies to achieve an intended purpose for a clearly defines audience
- Soft skill: A social, interpersonal, self-management, or language skill that compliments a
peso’s tehial skill
- Hard skill: A technical skill (know-how and abilities) that a job person requires for a specific
job
- Communication will help for corporate success in the future economy
- Top ranked skill among Canadian employers
- With effective communication skills, advantages include:
o Enhanced problem-solving,
o Decision-making
o Increased efficiency, workflow
o Productivity
o Improved professional image
o Business relationships
o Group dynamics
- Communicating in the workplace:
- ICT: Technologies, such as mobile phone systems and the internet, used for transmitting,
manipulating, and storing data by electronic means
- Challenges in a knowledge economy:
o Ensure continued funding for research and development (R&D)
o Continues to draw on an educated workforce trained in critical thinking, and to fight
the pole of ai-dai
- Manufactures risks:
o Piracy: The unauthorized reproduction and distribution of copyrighted material,
including video games, software, music, and films
o Cyberwarfare: A form of information warfare, usually the conducting of politically
motivated sabotage through hacking
o Identity theft: The at of auiig ad olletig a idiidual’s pesoal
information for criminal purposes
- To control such risks, businesses attempt to build trust, establish cross-border-corporation,
and forgiving networks
- Risk communication: An interactive exchange of information and ideas on risk among risk
assessors, risk managers, and other interested parties
- Corporate social responsibility (CSR): A opa’s oluta otiutios to sustaiale
development through the support of non-profit organizations and/or the creation of socially
corporate policies
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
- Sustainable development: Economic development that maintains natural resources for
future generations and recognizes the relationship between economic, social, and
environmental issues
- Sustainability can accomplish many objectives such as:
o Strengthen the link between a company and its stakeholders and increase
stakeholder value
o Boost financial performance
o Iease the opa’s appeal to soiall esposile iestos
- The old’s eoo is eoig ieasigly global, to the point where it has shrunk
because of:
o Web browsers promoting connectivity and the free flow of information
o Software (such as PayPal) and other communication platforms promoting wider co-
operation
- Diversity: Differences among people with respect to gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual
orientation, religious belief, and physical ability, which are to be acknowledged, valued, and
eleated i toda’s okplaes
- Millennials: Refers to individuals born between 1980 -> 2000
- Represent 1/3 of Caada’s populatio ad ae the lagest deogaphi ohot to oe
afte the Ba Booes
- Their work styles and preferences show desire for:
o Flexible hours
o Work-life balance
o Ongoing learning, coaching, and real-time feedback
- Stereotype about illeials ae the Look at me generation suggesting that they are
attention-seeking
- They are known for their:
o Willingness to work well in teams
o communicate openly with managers
o Embrace new communication technologies
o Change jobs frequently
- Disruptive technologies: Innovative, transformative products and services that create new
opportunities and move up the market to replace established competitors
- Example of disruptive technologies:
o Laptops
o E-mail
o Tablet computers
o Smartphones
o Bluetooth technology
o Mobile apps
o PowerPoint
- Web 3.0: Encompasses artificial intelligence (AI) technology
- Allows to communicate with customers through real-time analytics, capture data about
their online activities that can be used for sales and marketing as well as product-
development
- Example: Cars and health-monitoring devices
- Mobile apps for business:
- Business-to-usiess B2B apps ae used to suppot a ogaizatio’s iteal usiess
processes such as:
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chapter 1: issues and trends in professional communication: Communication: a transactional and relational process involving the meaningful exchange of information. How you write, speak, and listen on the job reflects who you are professionally, how you treat others, and how you do business. Successful communication is learning how to structure your information strategically; using text, design, and technologies to achieve an intended purpose for a clearly defines audience. Soft skill: a social, interpersonal, self-management, or language skill that compliments a pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)"s te(cid:272)h(cid:374)i(cid:272)al skill. Hard skill: a technical skill (know-how and abilities) that a job person requires for a specific job. Communication will help for corporate success in the future economy. Top ranked skill among canadian employers: enhanced problem-solving, decision-making. Improved professional image: business relationships, group dynamics. Ict: technologies, such as mobile phone systems and the internet, used for transmitting, manipulating, and storing data by electronic means.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers