MICR 121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Bacteremia, Blood Culture, Innate Immune System

49 views3 pages

Document Summary

Bacteremia: presence of bacteria in blood stream irrespective of +/- fever, +/- symptoms. Fever is not always the best indicator of bacteria in blood. Sepsis: clinical syndrome w set of criteria that have to be met systemic inflammatory response syndrome (sirs) criteria: body"s i(cid:374)(cid:374)ate i(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)e respo(cid:374)se to i(cid:374)fe(cid:272)tio(cid:374) non-specific responses. Common in lungs breathe in a lot, can have bacteria in upper airways that travel into lungs and then blood: source of infection. Bacteria enters blood 3. leaking to blood vessels 4. Primary bacteremia: isolation of bacteria from blood in an indv as being only source of that bacteria. Increased risk of developing infectious endocarditis (infection of endocardium) particularly if valves are damaged or prosthetic valves. Intermittent: most common type of significant bacteremia; often extravascular source of infection that spills into the blood. Continuous: intravascular source of infection; consistent presence of bacteria in the bloodstream: clinically significant; usually vascular source (vessel or tissue)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers