GPHY 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Longshore Drift, Silt, Ripple Marks

18 views3 pages
amethystdolphin839 and 131 others unlocked
GPHY 102 Full Course Notes
GPHY 102 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
24 documents

Document Summary

Gphy102 lecture 20 wind and waves: more geomorphic processes. Wind: geomorphic processes associated with wind are termed aeolian, as with water (fluvial processes) this includes erosion, transport and deposition, wind speed and materials are determinant factors, much less energy to move due to low atmosphere pressure. I. e. farm field cleared for season = high risk for wind erosion. Vegetation greatly reduces risk, binds surface material: in other words, in arid and semi-arid regions and along coastal beaches. I. e. deserts etc. , places with dry, fine grained materials. Aeolian processes occur in arid polar settings as well. Aeolian erosion: two fundamental categories: deflation and abrasion, deflation. Includes lifting of particles aloft and shifting along the surface. I. e. desert pavement residual larger materials left behind (gravel) as fine grained material is blown away. Erosion of rock and other consolidated materials by wind- transported sediments. Airborne sand and dust particles driven by wind in a natural form of sandblasting.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers