GPHY 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Noon, Electromagnetic Spectrum, Centrifugal Force

14 views10 pages
amethystdolphin839 and 131 others unlocked
GPHY 102 Full Course Notes
GPHY 102 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
24 documents

Document Summary

Oblate ellipsoid ( ) bulges ( ) slightly at the equator and flattens at the poles due to the centrifugal force ( ) of its rotation. Counter-clockwise turning of the earth on its axis, an imaginary straight line passing through the center of the planet and joining the. The direction of rotation is counter-clockwise in north pole and. Earth rotation defines the solar day and is the basis of conventional eastward at equator time system. The axis of rotation also sets latitude and longitude. Environmental effects of earth rotation: it imposes a daily rhythm on how earth receives solar energy i. Influence air temperature, air humidity and air motion: it causes winds to turn consistently from the expected direction imposed by the pressure gradients ( ) In northern hemisphere, winds deflect to the right. In southern hemisphere, winds deflect to the left. Create coriolis effect i. ii. iii: link to ocean currents and ocean tides i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers