PSYO 252 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Filippa Hamilton, Egotism, Physical Attractiveness

71 views6 pages
Psychology 252 January 22nd
Beauty vs. Attraction
o What do they mean to you?
Beautify
o Idealized vs. Reality? (just hair and make-up?)
Why do we know the Kardashians?
o OJ Killed Niole; ‘oert Kardashia joied OJs defese hereas Chris Jeer as i
support of Nicole (split of Kardashians)
How does beauty make you feel?
o Depends on your gender and sexual preference
Media to make you feel bad to buy to look good
Beautys ifluee is perasie
o Persoal eauty is a greater reoedatio tha ay letter of itrodutio Aristotle,
4th Century BC
o Beautiful people in our culture are viewed as stronger, smarter, happier, more socially
gifted, more confident, & more successful
o Collectivistic cultures se generosity, caring, and trustworthiness stemming from beauty
What is beautiful is good
Whatever your culture values are the attributes you give to beautiful
people
What-is-beautiful-is-good stereotype belief that beautiful people possess desirable
characteristics as defined by your culture
Teahers rate beautiful students as being more capable, intelligent, and more likely to succeed
o Preschool PhD
o Beauty impacts the self-fulfilling prophecy
Beautiful people get more lenient criminal sentences
o More life value on beautiful people aka, if youre eautiful youre less likely to e
arrested, pulled over, serve long sentences, and even get the death penalty
Assume beautiful people have better social skills
o Figure 4.13 Three Step Self-fulfilling Prophecy
Snyder, Tanke, & Berscheid, 1977
o Men led to believe they are about to talk to an attractive or unattractive woman
o Have phone conversation with women who are unaware of the manipulation
o Attratie oe are rated y third-party judges to be more friendly, likeable and
socially gifted
Is the what-is-beautiful-is-good stereotype accurate?
o Good-looking people do have more friends, better social skills, more active sex life, and
earn more money occupations
o But beauty is not related to object measures of intelligence, personality, self-esteem, or
happiness
o AKA hae a ertai leg up the the rest of us, ut doest hage ho you feel aout
yourself
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
o Attriutioal aiguity plays a role ie eause they like you, or eause youre
beautiful)
Is Beauty an objective quality?
o Some argue that certain faces are inherently more attractive than others, ut…
Babies prefer beautiful faces (regardless of race, age, etc.)
Faces recognized as beautiful across cultures
Symmetrical, Averageness, etc
Is Beauty a subjective quality?
o People from different cultures enhance their beauty in very different ways (ie. Neck
rings, lip plates, piercing, face painting, tattoos, lipstick & blush (fertility), etc.)
o Ideal body type vary across cultures and racial groups
o Standards of beauty change over time
Our obsession with Youth
o Whats so beautiful about youth?
Perfect skin
Large eyes
Small nose
Large mouth/lips
Cost of elusive beauty
o Eating disorders used to be a predominately white-female-ester prole, its o a
global problem
o Women account for 90% of cosmetic surgery
o There are now more than twice as many plastic surgeons than pediatricians in Beverly
Hills
o Western beauty standards media is now across the globe
Typical Women
o The typial oe preseted y the fashio idustry is  tall ad eighs 
pounds
o BMI of 14, WHO cut-off for malnutrition 18.5
o North Aeria aerage or all oe:  tall ad eigh ls
Filippa vs Ralph Lauren
o Filippa Hailto: They fire e eause they said I as oereight ad I ouldt fit i
‘alph Laure lothes ayore
o Fillippa is  ad 120lbs
Attraction
Humans are social animals
o The need to belong is a basic human motive; that is, we are intrinsically motived to
belong
o Being ostracized is a form of social death (painful to humans in every sense)
Causes physical pain
From a group we value
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Psychology 252 january 22nd: beauty vs. Attraction: what do they mean to you, beautify. Is beauty an objective quality: some argue that certain faces are inherently more attractive than others, (cid:271)ut , babies prefer beautiful faces (regardless of race, age, etc. , faces recognized as beautiful across cultures, symmetrical, averageness, etc. Is beauty a subjective quality: people from different cultures enhance their beauty in very different ways (ie. neck rings, lip plates, piercing, face painting, tattoos, lipstick & blush (fertility), etc. ) Ideal body type vary across cultures and racial groups: standards of beauty change over time, our obsession with youth, what(cid:859)s so beautiful about youth, perfect skin. Alph laure(cid:374) (cid:272)lothes a(cid:374)y(cid:373)ore(cid:863: fillippa is (cid:1009)(cid:859)(cid:1005)(cid:1004)(cid:863) a(cid:374)d 120lbs. If there(cid:859)s (cid:374)o (cid:272)ha(cid:374)(cid:272)e of getti(cid:374)g re(cid:449)arded it evens out: altruism or egoism: the great debate. Is sta(cid:271)(cid:271)ed a(cid:374)d yells: (cid:862)oh (cid:373)y god, he sta(cid:271)(cid:271)ed (cid:373)e!

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers