PSYC 3406 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Cognitive Restructuring, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Cognitive Therapy

82 views8 pages

Document Summary

Psyc 3406 lecture 7 notes cognitive behaviour therapy. The abc theory of personality: activating event belief consequence, disputing intervention effective philosophy new feeling. Irrational beliefs: three basic musts we internalize that inevitably lead to self-defeat: I must do well and be loved and approved by others . Other people must treat me fairly, kindly, and well : the world and my living conditions must be comfortable, gratifying, and just, providing me with all that i want in life . Therapeutic goals: to help clients differentiate between realistic and unrealistic goals and between self- defeating and life-enhancing goals, to assist clients in the process of achieving, unconditional self-acceptance (usa, unconditional other-acceptance (uoa, unconditional life-acceptance (ula) Therapeutic techniques: therapists practicing rebt use the following techniques, disputing irrational beliefs, doing cognitive homework, bibliotherapy, changing one"s language, psychoeducational methods, rational emotive imagery, using humour, role playing, shame-attacking exercises, and standard behaviour therapy procedures. Interact therapeutically and socially with each other in after-group sessions.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers