COMM 2500 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: George Herbert Mead, Symbolic Interactionism, Oberlin College

36 views2 pages

Document Summary

George herbert mead (1863-1931 : was born in massachusetts and entered oberlin college at the age of 16, after graduation, earned his graduate degree from harvard, taught philosophy and psychology at the university of michigan. George herbert mead: mind mind, self, and society, views the mind as a process, a conversation within itself. Symbolic interactionism: social actions create meaning, meaning changes over time, language is key to creating social reality, action creates meaning, change is constant. I & me: i = perception of self, me = learned behaviours and expectations of society, society shapes individuals and individuals shape society, communication is key to meaning, meaning is in flux. Symbolic interactionism: not fate, constant evaluation, stimulus > interpretation > response. Erving goffman: born in manville, alberta, attended the university of toronto and completed his graduate studies at the university of chicago, taught sociology at berkeley, and anthropology and sociology at the university of.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers