PSYC 473 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Cognitive Dissonance

23 views3 pages

Document Summary

Look to major motivations regarding the self. Looked at police brutality in the 1960s at yale between students and the police. Its not logically inconsistent but it doesn"t fit together psychologically. Have to do something to cope with the inconsistency: coping methods. Change cognitions: sufficient justification (e. g. no choice) I believe x but i freely choose to do y dissonance attitude change ( i believe y ) Props: self presentation motive is powerful. We are sometimes highly aware of self-presentation but sometimes the self-presentational motive isn"t as strong in our day to day behaviour: counterattitudinal attitudinal change: actually maybe the subject is trying to. This is about trying to not seem hypocritical by maintaining a positive. Produce similar results: this leads to a shift in attitude, which is correct, dissonance versus self-perception interpretations, dissonance involves negative affect, affect can be misattributed, e. g. to a pill. Given placebo, but told to expect tension.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers