PSYC 333 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Stereotypes Of Jews, Fraternities And Sororities, Thwart

58 views9 pages

Document Summary

Threats to the self (sherman & cohen, 2006) Experience substandard performance on the job or in class. Encountering information that is challenging got the validity of long-held beliefs. Defeat of one"s political party or favorite sports team during the playoffs. Evidence that you are engaging in risky health behaviour e. g. new study comes out that. Illness associated something you do with an adverse health effect. Receiving negative feedback at work or school. Misbehaviour of one"s child (or even parent) On a daily basis, we can experience more threats than affirmations about our sense of self. Threats to the self: perceived failures to meet culturally, socially, or personally significant standards. Tend to have a selective memory, not remembering their failures as well. Biased perception/judgement of information e. g. external attributions for poor exam performance. When i succeed it is because of me, when i fail it is because the task was poorly constructed .

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers