PHGY 550 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Bone Resorption, Wnt Signaling Pathway, Fibroblast Growth Factor 23

33 views8 pages

Document Summary

Unloaded leads to bone resorption and bone loss; however can be reversed; i. e. astronaut loses up to 20% of bone mass in pelvis and legs after 3/4 months; reverses within 30 60 days after landing i. e. paraplegic patients lose 25% of bone mass within first month months; reverses within 30 60 days after landing i. e. paraplegic patients lose 25% of bone mass within first month i. e. bedrest patient; looking for ways to prevent loss of bone in these patients. Mechano sensing via fluid flow shear stress perturbs: tethering elements between canalicular wall and cell membrane, cell body, primary cilia d. Conventional histology and immunochemistry (ihc: ihc used to visualize the factors that are expressed; i. e trap staining in osteocytes, staining used to see bone formation over time; i. e fluorochrome labelling for, staining used to see bone formation over time; i. e fluorochrome labelling for mineral apposition rates (mars)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers