MGCR 423 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Competitive Advantage, Value Chain, Outsourcing

48 views7 pages
Chapter 3 The International Organization
Global economy increasingly difficult for firms to fins ways to dev sustainable competitive advantage.
Innovation is key at most org to maintain they CA
People able to help the org efforts to innovate = valuable resource + potential to be CA.
Competitive advantage occurs when firms achieve strategic competitiveness + earn above average returns by
acquiring, building, and leveraging their resources for the purpose of taking advantage of opportunities in the
external env in ways that create value for customers.
Sustainable Competitive advantage: 3 factors
Degree of core competence obsolescence bc of env changes.
Availability of substitutes for the core competence.
Imitation of the core competence.
Select strategies: matching what a firm can do (i.e., resources, capabilities, core competencies) with what it might
do (i.e., opportunities, threats in the ext. env).
1. The Context of Internal Analysis
Challenge = soe esoues that ee taditioally itial to fis’ effots to P°  L ost are now less likely to
become competitive advantage.
Firms are using their resources to form core competencies through which they successfully implement an
international strategy overcome advantages created by traditional resources.
Udestadig ho to leeage the fi’s unique bundle of resources + capabilities = key outcome decision
makers seek when analyzing the internal organization.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
2. Creating Value
Value: easues y podut’s pefoae haateistis + its attiutes fo hih ustoes ae illig to pay.
Fis’ esoues = foudatio fo P° goods/seies that ill eate alue fo ustoes.
Firms w/ CA create more value for customer than do competitors.
The stoge these fi’s oe opeteies, the geate the aout of alue they’e ale to eate for
their customers.
Resources (1), capabilities (2) and core competences (3) are the foundation of competitive advantage.
3. Creating competitive advantage Resources
Resources: iputs ito a fi’s P° poess, suh as K euipet, the skills of idiidual eployees, patets, fiae,
and talented managers.
Resources cover a spectrum of individual, social and organizational phenomena.
By themselves = allow firm to create value for customers (i.e., above average earnings returns)
Resources are combined to form capabilities.
Tangible resources: assets that can be observed and quantified (P° equipment, manufacturing facilities).
Intangible resources: ilude assets that ae ooted deeply i fi’s histoy, auulate oe tie, ad ae
relatively difficult for competitors to analyze and imitate (knowledge, trust b/n managers and employees).
Embedded in unique pattern of routines.
Difficult to analyze and imitate.
Intangible resources > source of capabilities + core
competencies.
Firms rely more on intangible resources (difficult to imitate)
The more unobservable a resource, the more valuable that resource
is to create capabilities.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chapter 3 the international organization: global economy increasingly difficult for firms to fins ways to dev sustainable competitive advantage. Innovation is key at most org to maintain they ca. People able to help the org efforts to innovate = valuable resource + potential to be ca. Competitive advantage occurs when firms achieve strategic competitiveness + earn above average returns by acquiring, building, and leveraging their resources for the purpose of taking advantage of opportunities in the external env in ways that create value for customers. Degree of core competence obsolescence bc of env changes. Availability of substitutes for the core competence. Select strategies: matching what a firm can do (i. e. , resources, capabilities, core competencies) with what it might do (i. e. , opportunities, threats in the ext. env): the context of internal analysis. Challenge = so(cid:373)e (cid:396)esou(cid:396)(cid:272)es that (cid:449)e(cid:396)e t(cid:396)aditio(cid:374)ally (cid:272)(cid:396)iti(cid:272)al to fi(cid:396)(cid:373)s" effo(cid:396)ts to p (cid:894) l (cid:272)ost(cid:895) are now less likely to become competitive advantage.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers