MGCR 222 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Organizational Commitment, Dependency Theory, Ingratiation

21 views3 pages

Document Summary

Probabilistic notion: capacity/potential to use (does not have to be actualized) Power is a relational process: a i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)es the (cid:271)eha(cid:448)io(cid:396) of b, so that b a(cid:272)ts i(cid:374) a a(cid:272)(cid:272)o(cid:396)da(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:449)ith a"s (cid:449)ishes, power manifests itself or is made known through dependent relationships and interactions. Formal power: stems from organizational power, useful only w/in the bounds of the organization, coercive power, reward power, legitimate power: coercive power- coercive and reward power are two sides of the same coin. An individual who can withhold rewards may be able to influence the behavior of other. Power is derived from the use of punishment and threat (eg termination, assigning unfavorable tasks) The other party complies from the fear of negative results: reward power- influence is derived from the ability to provide positive benefits to the target. Complies due to desire for positive benefits (economic rewards, social rewards:membership in a clique, invited for drinks: legitimate power-de(cid:396)i(cid:448)ed f(cid:396)o(cid:373) a pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)"s positio(cid:374) o(cid:396) jo(cid:271) i(cid:374) a(cid:374) o(cid:396)ga(cid:374)izatio(cid:374)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers