HIST 249 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Germ Theory Of Disease, Thomas Spencer Wells, Sex Assignment

23 views5 pages

Document Summary

Pre-exists specialization and only turns into speciality when specialization happens: profession, concepts, technology. Old surgery: separate from medicine, artisan status, guilds, apprenticeship, rarely major interventions, dealt with it through manual means, u(cid:271)o(cid:396)di(cid:374)ated to physi(cid:272)ia(cid:374)"s o(cid:396)de(cid:396)s, although in reality many surgeons did physicians jobs. Result: surgery is no longer separate occupation, but part of medicine. But retains specific identity-one of two constituent parts of medicine. Motivated by ambitious individuals who did this for money. Surgeons trained by watching single surgeon doing work was being replaced by something more academic: sitting around and watching a teacher do his thing. Military doctors capable of treating soldiers in the field. Bring together teaching of surgery with teaching of medicine. G(cid:396)adually shifts f(cid:396)o(cid:373) i(cid:374)teg(cid:396)al pa(cid:396)t of (cid:373)edi(cid:272)i(cid:374)e to (cid:862)spe(cid:272)ialty(cid:863) as spe(cid:272)ializatio(cid:374) sp(cid:396)eads. First specialty to seek to introduce training and certification. Eventually fragments into sub-specialties (neuro-su(cid:396)ge(cid:396)y (cid:895) a(cid:374)d i(cid:374)to spe(cid:272)ialties (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:271)i(cid:374)ing surgeries and medicine (ophthalmology, orl) Body a functional whole in interaction with the environment.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers