HISP 226 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Gunboat Diplomacy, Argentine Confederation, Monroe Doctrine

50 views3 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 14 - 19th century hispanic world: challenges from u. s. and. In international relations, the strong do what they have the power to do, while the weak accept what they have to accept. 19th century: crucial change - industrial revolution (england is at the forefront - it spreads from there and british dominance starts reducing in relative terms - the us becomes a great industrial power) Transportation (steam engine), communications were features of the revolution. Division of labor (seen in factories); as production increases, the demand for raw materials increases; motivation has to do with guarantee of resources and sale of product (for profit) Change between powerful and weak countries changes rapidly. Hispanic world is weak compared to some advanced countries: spain"s loss of colonies. Within spain and colonies: social changes, political instability. Most of spanish america is independent at this time. It said that europea(cid:374) powers should(cid:374)"t i(cid:374)terfere i(cid:374) the a(cid:373)erica(cid:374) he(cid:373)isphere (except i(cid:374) re(cid:373)ai(cid:374)i(cid:374)g colonies).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers