PSYC 150 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: The Chicago Defender, Dispositional Attribution, Social Perception

30 views5 pages
15 Feb 2020
Department
Course

Document Summary

The area of study that attempts to explain how the actual, imagined, or implied presence of others influence the thoughts, feelings, and behaviours of individuals. Our overall impression of another person is influenced more by the first information we receive than by later information. Once formed, our expectations affect how we perceive the behaviour of others. What we pay attention to and what we ignore. May actually bring about the expected behaviour in others. Sometimes our expectations become self-fulfilling prophecy and actually influence the way others act. Self-fulfilling prophecy > prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true. Think of an example of self-fulfilling prophecy in your life. If i expect someone to be friendly, i may smile more, and thus, receive more smiles. If i expect to be lucky, i may enter more competitions and increase my chances of winning.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers