PSYC 311 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Partial Correlation, Theoretical Definition, Operational Definition

52 views5 pages

Document Summary

Statistical (e. g. , regression equation; y" = (cid:271)0 + b1x: have variables (i. e. independent and dependent): Can be intervening (i. e. in-between your independent and dependent variable; the steps that lead from independent to dependent): Basically, models are to show us what causes what: have relationships (e. g. , arrow shows the negative relation between cause and effect): Be aware of the direction of the relation. Just because two things are related does(cid:374)"t (cid:373)ea(cid:374) that the(cid:455) (cid:272)ause ea(cid:272)h other (i. e. correlation causation; variables can be correlated for other reasons): Partial correlation: allows us to describe the relationship between two variables while statistically controlling for a third (i. e. the. X and y (i. e. the number of things that come after the dot; e. g. , first order = ry1. 2, second order = r123. y): Basically, the relationship between height and vocabulary is actually being controlled by school grade: viewed in a diagram: Partial correlation between height and vocabulary with the effects of school grade removed (or statistically removed/controlled):

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers