PSYC 223 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Learned Helplessness, Explanatory Style, The Strongest

48 views3 pages

Document Summary

Generally situation specific: we think we have more control over the outcomes in some situations than others. Subjective: a belief that depends on the individual. Contingency: objective relationship between a person"s behavior and the environmental outcome. To what extent the average person"s voluntary and strategic behavior can actually influence the outcome of an event. It is how controllable the outcome actually is: if i touch something i am certain it will move. Some of it depends on me, some on the employer. It is how controllable the person thinks the outcomes are. Based on our previous experiences of the situation and how much control we had in it last time. Varies depending on the individual: some people feel that they have more control than others. My personal control beliefs about something may be stronger than someone else is even if the contingency is the same. Outcome expectancies are how controllable we believe something is: high outcome expectancy = mastery orientation.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers