EXCI 202 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Basal Metabolic Rate, Cellular Respiration, Adenosine Triphosphate

67 views8 pages

Document Summary

Energetics: definition, the study of the flow of energy/our energy needs, energy and nutrient requirements change, from moment to moment (i. e. active vs. rest), hour to hour (i. e. daytime vs. night), year to year (developmentally) Metabolism: metabolism, the aggregate of all the chemical reactions that take place in the body: Some of these reactions result in digestion and absorption: Provide us with the vitamins, minerals required but do not provide energy per se. Stored as glycogen to do anabolic work: fats, glycerol & fatty acids: Stored as triglycerides to do anabolic work: proteins: Stored as complex protein molecules to do anabolic work: the breakdown of these macronutrients is a catabolic process releasing energy. Metabolism of absorbed nutrients: chemical reactions either require energy or release energy, metabolic processes are divided into two categories, anabolism: The building up (i. e. synthesis) of reactions that require energy. The construction portion of metabolism (i. e. chemical reactions that build more complex substances from simpler ones):

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers