RELI 1730 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Optio, Saguna Brahman, Para Brahman

38 views5 pages

Document Summary

Hinduism: its conception of the divine and the use of murti. 1 billion hindus, mostly in india (82% of the population in india are hindus) Without a founder nor a central authority. It has a long and complex evolution that goes back to 30 000 to 40 000 years ago. Thus, these are why hinduism is a very difficult religion to define. Contains may historical developments, may sects, traditions, etc. Beliefs and practices may vary, even enormously. Visual: a(cid:374) (cid:862)i(cid:373)age-(cid:373)aki(cid:374)g(cid:863) religio(cid:374) i(cid:374) (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h the sa(cid:272)red is see(cid:374) as the prese(cid:374)t i(cid:374) the (cid:448)isi(cid:271)le world. Ex: symbols, objects, and other sacred power in presence. Ex: murti of durga and poojas: diana eck. Both iconic and aniconic: often with humans and superhuman traits. Indra temple of puchenchira: at times, with animal traits. Bhakti (devotion) 4th century: love of a personal god, predominant god. The use of the iconic image, 1st century: grew between the 4th and 7th century, central in hinduism today.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers