PSYC 3403 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Hydromorphone, Intrinsic Activity, Methadone

19 views6 pages

Document Summary

Opioid any drug combined to the opioid receptor. Pain: - primary use for opioids: two classifications, acute pain. E(cid:454): (cid:455)ou"re an a(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e person, riding (cid:455)our (cid:271)ike and de(cid:272)ide to not (cid:449)ear (cid:455)our. Can lead to depression which can lead to pain. Special group of neurons who have been designed to detect pain. Opioids: can modulate symptoms of pain, can help with the pain, not removing pain just helping manage our symptoms of pains, mimics endogenous endorphins /enkephalins, we naturally produce endorphins, bind to opioid receptors, opioid agonists. Opioid receptors (classification): pure agonists, strong binding to receptor, pure antagonists: (blocks a receptor) i. e. morphine (mu receptor, strong binding to receptor with no activity. Binds to the mu receptors but does not do anything i. e. naltrexone (mu receptor: mixed agonist-antagonists, partial agonists, agonist at one receptor, antagonist at another i. e. pentazocine. (cid:271)i(cid:374)d to the re(cid:272)eptors (cid:271)ut it"s (cid:374)ot great/stro(cid:374)g/weak i. e. buprenorphine: binds and has low intrinsic activity.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers