PSYC 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Detection Theory, Receiver Operating Characteristic, Response Bias

18 views6 pages

Document Summary

Introduction to the study of psychology psyc1001 section e. Sensation the detection of simple properties of stimuli (without making sense of them. Distal stimulus the stimulus in the environment (i am a distal stimulus to you). Proximal stimulus the stimulus as it is stimulating our sense receptors (the. Image of me that is being projected onto the back of your retina, and the sound waves that are vibrating your auditory hair cells are the proximal stimuli). Perception the detection of more complex properties of stimuli (i. e. it"s meaning) this involves learning. Perception is a rapid, automatic, unconscious process where we recognize what is represented by the information provided by our sense organs. The memories & thoughts help to influence the processing of the stimuli - helping to fill in the blank information, or helping to quickly organize the existing stimuli. Transduction: transduction the conversion of one form of energy into another form of energy.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers