PAPM 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Negative Liberty, Benevolent Dictatorship, Positive Liberty

51 views3 pages

Document Summary

Berlin: many ways freedom used but two important conceptions that must be kept diff. Could be seen as sides of same coin. Have to keep separate because developed separately. Positive: led to soviet style communism (stalin), many tyrannical or authoritarian leaders. Negative can"t give to this, possible consistent with autocratic rule (ie benevolent dictator that gives free press etc. ) Problem with positive is leads to think about self as divided, think about rule or higher self over lower self. When associate higher self with particular form of society, then set up society where people can be forced against own inclinations to be free" to do what don"t want to or not do what want to. What makes free is being forced to do what don"t want to do, absurd. Debate about positive and negative is conducted in caricatures. Negative: i can do anything i want, left free to do whatever i want, but caricature (ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers