CGSC 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Ethnocentrism, Tribalism, Deontological Ethics

33 views2 pages

Document Summary

Why do we have morality: they evolved to help us take care of the other people in our groups. But not so much people outside our groups. The expanding circle: self-interest: i care about myself and my family. All animals have instincts for gene-preservation (with exceptions: friendship: i care for historical cooperation partners. Sharing food used to be a life-and-death matter for us: tribalism: i care about us, but not them. Evolved morals in humans took care of this. Anthropological survey shows that ethnocentrism is universal: i care about all people or creatures that can have positive or negative experiences. How do we know morality is evolved: in general, evolved and well-learned behaviours work faster than deliberate ones, when you force people to play a prisoner"s dilemma game quickly, they are more likely to cooperate. Haidt"s moral foundations theory: care/harm, liberty/oppression, authority/subversion, fairness/cheating, loyalty/betrayal, sanctity/degradation, mnemonic: clafls, (clah-fuls)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers