ARTH 1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Calotype, La Cathédrale Engloutie, Edgar Degas

39 views4 pages

Document Summary

Realism and impressionism subjects previously considered too mundane or ugly for art are the proper subjects for art. Reaction against neoclassicism and romanticism look real but not. An art movement based on the belief that only the things of an artists own time and place including. 19th century"s continuation of the enlightenment belief that knowledge should be based on observation. Positivism (august comte, 1798-1857): the belief that every worthwhile proposition can be proved. 1848 anti-authority revolutions that affected most european countries. They were inspired by the social and economic conditions that led karl marx and friedrich engels to publish the communist manifesto (1848), and by anger against authoritarian and elitist (anti-democratic) government regimes. scientifically, logically or mathematically. and direct experience. Invention of photography in 1839 by louis daguerre in france ( daguerreotype ) and by henry fox. Known for quote: i have never seen an angel. Show me an angel and i will paint it.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers