MKTG1025 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Customer Relationship Management, Marketing Intelligence, Consumer Privacy

27 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
CHAPTER 3 THE MARKETPLACE AND CUSTOMERS, ANALYSING THE ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environmental forces that affect the companies ability to serve its customers
The opa’s iroeiroet osists of other ators lose to the opa that oie to form the
opa’s alue delier etork or that affet its ailit to sere its ustoers.
It iludes the opa’s iteral eiroet
its several departments and management levels
as it influences marketing decision making.
Marketing channel firms
suppliers and marketing intermediaries, including resellers, physical distribution firms, marketing services
agencies and financial intermediaries
cooperate to create customer value.
Five types of customer markets include consumer, business, reseller, government and international markets.
Competitors vie with the company in an effort to serve customers better. Finally, various publics have an
atual or potetial iterest i or ipat o the opa’s ailit to eet its ojeties. The
macroenvironment consists of larger societal forces that affect the entire microenvironment. The six types of
fores akig up the opa’s aroeiroet are deographi, eooi, atural, tehologial,
political and cultural forces. These forces shape opportunities and pose threats to the company.
Explain how changes in the demographic and economic environments affect marketing decisions
Deograph is the stud of the harateristis of hua populatios. Toda’s deographi eiroet
shows a changing age structure, shifting family profiles, geographic population shifts, a better-educated and
more white-collar population, and increasing diversity. The economic environment consists of factors that
affect buying power and patterns. The economic environment is characterised both by greater consumer
concern for value and by shifting consumer spending patterns seeking just the right combination of good
quality and service at a fair price. The distribution of income also is shifting. The rich have grown richer, the
middle class has shrunk and the poor have remained poor, leading to a two-tiered market.
Identify the main trends in the firms natural and technological environments
The natural environment shows three main trends: shortages of certain raw materials, higher pollution levels
and more government intervention in natural resource management. Environmental concerns create
marketing opportunities for alert companies. The technological environment creates both opportunities and
challenges. Companies that fail to keep up with technological change will miss out on new-product and
marketing opportunities.
Explain the key changes in the political and cultural environments
The political environment consists of laws, agencies and groups that influence or limit marketing actions. The
political environment has undergone three changes that affect marketing worldwide: increasing legislation
regulating business, strong government agency enforcement and greater emphasis on ethics and socially
responsible actions. The cultural eiroet is ade up of istitutios ad fores that affet a soiet’s
values, perceptions, preferences and behaviours. The environment shows trends towards new technology-
enabled communication, a lessening trust of institutions, greater appreciation for nature, a changing
spiritualism and the search for more meaningful and enduring values.
Discuss how companies can react to the marketing environment
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chapter 3 the marketplace and customers, analysing the environment. Describe the environmental forces that affect the companies ability to serve its customers. The (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:374)(cid:455)"s (cid:373)i(cid:272)roe(cid:374)(cid:448)iro(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t (cid:272)o(cid:374)sists of other a(cid:272)tors (cid:272)lose to the (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:374)(cid:455) that (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:271)i(cid:374)e to form the (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:374)(cid:455)"s (cid:448)alue deli(cid:448)er(cid:455) (cid:374)et(cid:449)ork or that affe(cid:272)t its a(cid:271)ilit(cid:455) to ser(cid:448)e its (cid:272)usto(cid:373)ers. Suppliers and marketing intermediaries, including resellers, physical distribution firms, marketing services agencies and financial intermediaries. Five types of customer markets include consumer, business, reseller, government and international markets. Competitors vie with the company in an effort to serve customers better. Finally, various publics have an a(cid:272)tual or pote(cid:374)tial i(cid:374)terest i(cid:374) or i(cid:373)pa(cid:272)t o(cid:374) the (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:374)(cid:455)"s a(cid:271)ilit(cid:455) to (cid:373)eet its o(cid:271)je(cid:272)ti(cid:448)es. The macroenvironment consists of larger societal forces that affect the entire microenvironment. The six types of for(cid:272)es (cid:373)aki(cid:374)g up the (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:374)(cid:455)"s (cid:373)a(cid:272)roe(cid:374)(cid:448)iro(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t are de(cid:373)ographi(cid:272), e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272), (cid:374)atural, te(cid:272)h(cid:374)ologi(cid:272)al, political and cultural forces. These forces shape opportunities and pose threats to the company.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers