ECF1200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Monetary Policy, Aggregate Demand, Aggregate Supply

65 views7 pages
18 Oct 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The goals of monetary policy: full employment of the labour force, stability of the australian currency, economic prosperity and welfare for the people of australia. This leads banks and other financial institutions to experience a shortage or a surplus of funds at the end of the day. If banks and other financial institutions experience a shortage of funds at the end of the day, funds have to be purchased overnight on the short-term money market. This increases the demand for overnight funds known as cash. The demand for and supply of money (lo2) Lo(cid:449) i (cid:859)s redu(cid:272)e the opportu(cid:374)it(cid:455) (cid:272)ost of holdi(cid:374)g (cid:373)o(cid:374)e(cid:455): high i (cid:859)s i(cid:374)(cid:272)rease the opportu(cid:374)it(cid:455) (cid:272)ost of holdi(cid:374)g (cid:373)o(cid:374)e(cid:455). For simplicity here we are using the m1 definition of money (currency in circulation + the value of all demand deposits with banks). Having discussed money demand, we now turn to the supply of cash in the short-term money market.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers