ECON10004 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Strategic Dominance, Sequential Game, Simultaneous Game

58 views4 pages
12 May 2018
Department
Course
Professor
Microeconomics Week 10
LECTURE 19: GAME THEORY
Gae theo odels ae “hakespeaea i atue. “tat  splittig eooi pole
into three parts:
1. Environment: who are the actors influencing decisions, what info do they have, their
goals
2. Market mechanism: rules of game
3. Strategic action: how are individuals responding to each other
Types of Games
1. Simultaneous Games: a static situation in which all individuals make their decision
once at the beginning of the game without observing any other actions
2. Sequential Games: a dynamic situation where games have a sequence of moves with
new information being transmitted about past actions
Important concepts:
Strategy: a oplete set of deisios i espose to the othe plaes’ deisios i
every contingency
o If you write your strategy down properly, you can give it to anyone and they
can play just like you no matter that happened in game
o Can be pure when players choose their actions with certainty
o Can me mixed when players choose their actions with some randomness
Equilibrium: he eah plae hooses a stateg that is a est espose to
strategies of other players
Strictly Dominant Strategy: a strategy that provides the player with a strictly higher payoff
than all other strategies
Rational platers will always pick this if it exists
In games where all players have a strictly dominant strategy, the equilibrium should
comprise strictly dominant strategy
Weakly Dominant Strategy: a strategy that provides the player with no lower payoff than all
the other strategies
Rational players will always pick this if it exists and is the best response
In all games where all players have a weakly dominant strategy, the equilibrium
comprises weakly dominant strategies
Dominated Strategy: one that provides the player with lower payoff than any other strategy
Rational players will never pick this
If a strictly or weakly dominant strategy exists, all other strategies must be strictly or
weakly dominated
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Important concepts: strategy: a (cid:272)o(cid:373)plete set of de(cid:272)isio(cid:374)s i(cid:374) (cid:396)espo(cid:374)se to the othe(cid:396) pla(cid:455)e(cid:396)s" de(cid:272)isio(cid:374)s i(cid:374) every contingency. Strictly dominant strategy: a strategy that provides the player with a strictly higher payoff than all other strategies: rational platers will always pick this if it exists. In games where all players have a strictly dominant strategy, the equilibrium should comprise strictly dominant strategy. Weakly dominant strategy: a strategy that provides the player with no lower payoff than all the other strategies: rational players will always pick this if it exists and is the best response. In all games where all players have a weakly dominant strategy, the equilibrium comprises weakly dominant strategies. Dominated strategy: one that provides the player with lower payoff than any other strategy: rational players will never pick this. If a strictly or weakly dominant strategy exists, all other strategies must be strictly or weakly dominated.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers