ACCT10001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Financial Analysis, Trend Analysis, Financial Statement

283 views17 pages
Accounting Week 7
8.1 USERS AND DECISION MAKING
Profitability: A etits pefoae pofit duig the epotig peiod easued i
relative terms
Financial statements are employed by a range of users making a variety of decisions
Purpose of financial statements is to provide information useful for decision making
Financial analysis is an analytical tool that involves expressing the reported financial
numbers in relative terms
Fiaial aalsis helps stateet uses to ealuate a etits past decisions and
fo a opiio as to the etits futue fiaial health
8.2 NATURE AND PURPOSE OF FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
Analysis involves expressing reported numbers in financial statements in relative
terms
Absolute values in statements not meaningful whe tig to ealuate a etits
past decisions and predict future rewards and risk
There is a need to express reported numbers in relation to other numbers in order to
properly compare between periods/companies/etc
Typically involves comparing figures to:
o Equivalent figures from previous years
o Other figures in financial statements
Process of comparison can be categorised as horizontal analysis, trend analysis,
vertical analyses and ratio analysis
8.3 ANALYTICAL METHODS
Horizontal analysis: Analysing a series of financial statement data over a period of time
Financial statements usually presented in two columns to compare current with
previous reporting period
Horizontal analysis compares numbers in statements horizontally
Dollar change is calculated as: uet peiods ue less peious peiods ue
Percentage change is calculated as
Cuet peiods ue less peious peiods ue/Peious peiods ue  
Trend analysis: Method of examining changes, movements and patterns in data over a
number of time periods
Tries to predict future direction of various items on the basis of the direction of
items in past
At least three years of data required to calculate a trend
Trend figures can be graphed visually to depict direction and magnitude of financial
items
Trend analysis of a particular item involves expressing item in subsequent years
relative to a selected base year. The base year is typically given a value of 100
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 17 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Vertical analysis: Analysing financial statement data by expressing each item in a financial
statement as a percentage of a base amount
Compares item to another item in in the same financial statement
Whe epessed this a, fiaial stateets ae ofte efeed to as oo
size stateets
When performing vertical analysis on the P/L Statement, the anchor point is the
revenue figure and every item in the P/L Statement is expressed as a percentage of
the income item
When performing vertical analysis on balance sheet, anchor point is Total Assets and
every item in BS is expressed as percentage of Total Asset figure
Ratio analysis: An examination of the relationship between two quantitative amounts with
the objective of expressing the relationship in ratio or percentage form
Compares on item in statements with another item in financial statements, with aim
of expressing a relationship between two relevant items that is easy to interpret
Comparison between statements not always straightforward because P/L and CS
Statement involve Flow Items while BS report Stock Items
Whe alulatig atios iolig opaiso of a stok ad flo ite, the
aeage of stok ite ite duig the ea is ofte used istead of ed of ea
figure
Flow items: Item in the financial statements that is generated over a period of time
Stock items: Item in the financial statements as at a point in time
Ratio Analysis 3-Step Process
1. Calculate a meaningful ratio by expressing the dollar amount of an item in a financial
statement by the dollar amount of another item in a financial statement
2. Compare the ratio with a benchmark
3. Interpret the ratio and seek to explain why it differs from previous years, from
comparative entities or from industry averages
Types of Ratios
Profitability ratios: Measure of the profit relative to the resources available to generate the
profit
Efficiency Ratios: Measure of sales generated per dollar invested in assets
Liquidity Ratios: Measure of the short-term ability of the entity to pay its maturing
obligations and to meet unexpected needs for cash
Capital Structure Ratios
Market Performance Ratios/Market Test Ratios: ‘atios that geeall elate the etits
fiaial ues to the etits shae pie.
Unlock document

Benchmarks
A opaiso of the etits atios oe tie to idetif teds
A comparison of the etits atios ith those of othe etities opeatig i the sae
industry, referred to as intra-industry analysis
A opaiso of the etits atios ith the idust aeages
A opaiso of the etits atios ith those of etities opeatig i different
industries or with the norms of other industries, referred to as inter-industry analysis
A opaiso of the etits atios ith aita stadads
8.4 PROFITABILITY ANALYSIS
Return on equity (ROE): Profitability ratio measuring profit earned for each dollar invested
by the owners, calculated as profit available to owners divided by average equity
Profit from P/L Statement, Equity from BS
Exclude dividends
Indicates annual return (in cents) that the entity is generating for owners for each
dolla of oes fuds iested i the etit
Assessed by comparing to returns on alternative investment opportunities avail.
‘eflets etits pofitailit, effiie ad apital stutue
ROE: (Profit Available to Owners / Avg. Equity) x 100 = x%
Return on assets (ROA): Profitability ratio calculated as profit divided by average total
assets
‘eflet esults of etits ailit to oet sales eeue ito pofit ad ailit to
generate income from its asset investment
Change in ROA can be explained by chages i etits pofitailit ad asset
efficiency
ROA: (Profit (Loss) / Avg. Total Assets) x 100 = x%
Profit Margin Ratios
Ratios that relate profit to sales revenue
Gross profit margin (GPM): Profitability ratio calculated as gross profit divided by sales
revenue
Reflect proportion of sales revenue that results in gross profit
‘eflets goss pofit i ets pe dolla of sales eeue ad eflets a etits
pricing strategy
Not possible to specify desirable GPM: Gross profit is interrelated with sales volume
GPM: (Gross Profit / Sales Revenue) x 100 = x%
Unlock document

Document Summary

Horizontal analysis: analysing a series of financial statement data over a period of time: financial statements usually presented in two columns to compare current with previous reporting period, horizontal analysis compares numbers in statements horizontally. Dollar change is calculated as: (cid:272)u(cid:396)(cid:396)e(cid:374)t pe(cid:396)iod(cid:859)s (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)e(cid:396) less p(cid:396)e(cid:448)ious pe(cid:396)iod(cid:859)s (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)e(cid:396) Percentage change is calculated as (cid:894)cu(cid:396)(cid:396)e(cid:374)t pe(cid:396)iod(cid:859)s (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)e(cid:396) less p(cid:396)e(cid:448)ious pe(cid:396)iod(cid:859)s (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)e(cid:396)/p(cid:396)e(cid:448)ious pe(cid:396)iod(cid:859)s (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)e(cid:396)(cid:895) (cid:454) (cid:1005)(cid:1004)(cid:1004) The base year is typically given a value of 100. Statement involve flow items while bs report stock items: whe(cid:374) (cid:272)al(cid:272)ulati(cid:374)g (cid:396)atios i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)i(cid:374)g (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:396)iso(cid:374) of a (cid:858)sto(cid:272)k(cid:859) a(cid:374)d (cid:858)flo(cid:449)(cid:859) ite(cid:373), the a(cid:448)e(cid:396)age of (cid:858)sto(cid:272)k(cid:859) ite(cid:373) ite(cid:373) du(cid:396)i(cid:374)g the (cid:455)ea(cid:396) is ofte(cid:374) used i(cid:374)stead of e(cid:374)d of (cid:455)ea(cid:396) figure. Flow items: item in the financial statements that is generated over a period of time. Stock items: item in the financial statements as at a point in time. Profitability ratios: measure of the profit relative to the resources available to generate the profit.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers