HNN319 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Health Literacy, Pain Management, Ketamine

86 views2 pages
WEEK SIX: HEALTH LITERACY AND SELF MANAGEMENT.
Describe the principles of self-management in relation to a person living with
diabetes
Define the terms health literacy and self- management
Identify situations where strategies for self- management can be used
Describe how to use strategies to increase levels of health literacy with patients
Identify signs of low health literacy in patients
Describe and document pain management decisions
Describe, perform and document ketamine and morphine infusions for pain
management
Perform a nursing handover of the patient care using the ISBAR tool.
HEALTH LITERACY.
The degree to which an individual has the capacity to obtain, process and understand basic
health onformation and services needed to make appropriate health related decisions.
Understand info to maintain good health.
- Oral
- Print
- Numeracy.
Overwhelmed with complicated info-chronic disease.
Healthcare providers make assumptions, pt cant understand info- DO NOT assue pts
understanding.
Assume pt may not understand, remember that feeling scared or overwhelmed, culture or
language barriers.
Teach back method- use asks pt to suaise ifo youve povided.
HEALTH COMMISSION ON HEALTH LITERACY.
Health liteacy plays a ipotat ole i enabling effective partnerships. In order for
partnerships to work, everyone involved needs to be able to give and receive, interpret and
act on information such as treatment options and plans. When these conditions exist, there
is the potential to not only improve the safety and quality of health care, but also to reduce
health dispaities ad icease euity. National statement health literacy.
DEF: Individual health literacy; the skills, knowledge, motivation and capacity of a person to
access, understand, appraise and apply information to make effective decisions about health
and health care and take appropriate action
DEF: Health literacy environment; the infrastructure, policies, processes, materials, people
and relationships that make up the health system and have an impact on the way that
people access, understand, appraise and apply health-related information and services.
Only 40% of population have level of understanding to process health needs and services.
Healthcare providers:
- Recognise the needs and preferences of individual patients and consumers and tailor
thei couicatio style to the pesos situatio
- Assume that most people will have difficulty understanding and applying complex health
information and concepts
- Use a range of interpersonal communication strategies to confirm information has been
delivered and received effectively
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Week six: health literacy and self management: describe the principles of self-management in relation to a person living with diabetes. Identify signs of low health literacy in patients management: perform a nursing handover of the patient care using the isbar tool. Health literacy: the degree to which an individual has the capacity to obtain, process and understand basic health onformation and services needed to make appropriate health related decisions, understand info to maintain good health. Health commission on health literacy. (cid:858)health lite(cid:396)acy plays a(cid:374) i(cid:373)po(cid:396)ta(cid:374)t (cid:396)ole i(cid:374) enabling effective partnerships. In order for partnerships to work, everyone involved needs to be able to give and receive, interpret and act on information such as treatment options and plans. Recognise the needs and preferences of individual patients and consumers and tailor thei(cid:396) co(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)icatio(cid:374) style to the pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)(cid:859)s situatio(cid:374) Assume that most people will have difficulty understanding and applying complex health information and concepts.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers