1 Jun 2018
Department
Course
Professor
HNN114
NUTRITION, METABOLIC AND ELIMINATION ASSESSMENT
PRINCIPLES OF ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
THE MOUTH
This includes the oral cavity (lips, palate, cheeks and tongue).
The mouth contains three pairs of salivary glands.
- Parotid gland: the largest, lies within the cheeks in front of the ear, extending from the zygomatic
arch down to the angle of the jaw.
- Submandibular gland: is the size of a walnut and lies beneath the mandible at the angle of the jaw.
- Sublingual gland: is the smallest, the size of almond and lies within the floor of the mouth under
the tongue.
THE THYROID GLAND
The thyroid gland is an important endocrine gland with a rich blood supply. It straddles the trachea in the
middle of the neck. It synthesises and secretes hormones that stimulate the rate of cellular metabolism.
THE PANCREAS
The pancreas is a soft, lobulated gland located behind the stomach. It stretches obliquely across the
posterior abdominal wall to the LUQ. Its endocrine tissue regulates blood glucose levels by secreting
glucagon and insulin.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
NUTRTITIONAL STATUS
- Optimal nutritional status: is achieved when sufficient nutrients are consumed to support day-to-
day body needs and any increased metabolic demands due to growth, pregnancy or illness.
- Nutrition is the sum of all the interactions between an organism and the food it consumes.
- Under-nutrition: occur when nutritional reserves are depleted and/or when nutrient intake is
inadequate to meet day-to-day needs or added metabolic demands.
- Over-nutrition: is caused by the consumption of nutrients in excess of body needs.
Nutrients are organic and inorganic substances found in foods that are required for body functioning.
Nutrients have three major functions: providing energy for body processes and movement, providing
structural material for body tissues, and regulating body processes.
Poor nutrition can lead to reduced immunity, increases susceptibility to disease, impaired physical and
mental development and reduced productivity.
SKIN
- Epideris: thi ut tough lae, ells ae oud tightl togethe ito sheets that fo a ugged
potetie aie. It statified ito seeal zoes. It is thi eept o the sufaes that ae eposed
to fitio, suh as the pals ad soles as the ae oe ok ad eight eaig. Ski olou is
deied fo thee soues . Melai; . Caotee; . Vasula ed.
- Deris: The ie suppotie lae osistig of oetie tissue o ollage. Tough, fious
potei that eales the ski to esist teaig. It allos the ski steth ith od oeets due
to its elastiit. The ee, seso eeptos, lood essels ad lphatis lie i the deis, as ell
as hai folliles ad
glads.
- Suutaeous: This is
adipose tissue, hih
is ade up of loules
of fat ells. The
suutaeous tissue
stoes fat fo eeg,
poides isulatio
fo tepeatue
otol ad aids i
potetio  its soft
ushioig effet. It
also gies ieased
oilit.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

This includes the oral cavity (lips, palate, cheeks and tongue). The mouth contains three pairs of salivary glands. Parotid gland: the largest, lies within the cheeks in front of the ear, extending from the zygomatic arch down to the angle of the jaw. Submandibular gland: is the size of a walnut and lies beneath the mandible at the angle of the jaw. Sublingual gland: is the smallest, the size of almond and lies within the floor of the mouth under the tongue. The thyroid gland is an important endocrine gland with a rich blood supply. It straddles the trachea in the middle of the neck. It synthesises and secretes hormones that stimulate the rate of cellular metabolism. The pancreas is a soft, lobulated gland located behind the stomach. It stretches obliquely across the posterior abdominal wall to the luq. Its endocrine tissue regulates blood glucose levels by secreting glucagon and insulin.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers