LAW 1507 Lecture 6: About Causation and remoteness and first steps

61 views2 pages
Causation and remoteness
Causation= Is there a link between harm (breach) and that negligence.
Words link causal chain or casual link.
Necessary causal connection generally established if the plaintiff proves that he or
she would not have been injured if the defendant had not been negligent.
There is a lik if you ould say, ”if the defedat had ot ated i a partiular ay,
y leg ould ot e roke”.
Novus= Break in the chain
Say you caused an injury, but then ambulance come and during taking the p the
doors open and the p is hurt again. The defendant is not owed liability for both
incidents.
Case Godfrey
Godfrey decision- Didt ause the har
When there are two parties involved, in ambo situation the car crash d is liable for
broken leg, ambo is liable for broken arm/ nose.
MARCH V STRAMARE (1991) 171 CLR 506
About case- A driver was in city there was a truck was unloading taking 6 lanes.
Driver of a car was speeding and drunk and ran into back of car and caused damages
to him. The car driver said it as the truk driers fault for ijuries, ut truk drier
said no we always do this and have been doing so for years.
Judge- A person may be responsible for fault if 1 of (the fault) is their own mistake.
(e.g drunk driver crash gets hurt by negligence of another driver)
But for test
THE BUT FOR TEST-A person who is out hunting with 2 other hunters, the 2 fire their
weapons negligently and shoot the 3rd (c) hunter. C takes a and b to court and says
hunter a you shoot him negligently. The question is would c have got shot if b not
hae shot you. I this ase yes eause a shoot ayay. If you hadt egligetly
hired at me (a) would she have been shoot? Yes because (b) shot anyway.
Court said- We aot apply the ut for test. Beause they should be responsible,
they have been neglect and because of this (a) has been hurt
Causation should be approached with common sense and question of fact. If the
failure to meet the standard of care resulting to the injury suffered. You can go on to
the ought kind of the story.
Roads act- Is authority that breach alone is not enough need to move on to
causation
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Causation= is there a link between harm (breach) and that negligence. Necessary causal connection generally established if the plaintiff proves that he or she would not have been injured if the defendant had not been negligent. There is a li(cid:374)k if you (cid:272)ould say, if the defe(cid:374)da(cid:374)t had (cid:374)ot a(cid:272)ted i(cid:374) a parti(cid:272)ular (cid:449)ay, (cid:373)y leg (cid:449)ould (cid:374)ot (cid:271)e (cid:271)roke(cid:374) . Say you caused an injury, but then ambulance come and during taking the p the doors open and the p is hurt again. The defendant is not owed liability for both incidents. When there are two parties involved, in ambo situation the car crash d is liable for broken leg, ambo is liable for broken arm/ nose. About case- a driver was in city there was a truck was unloading taking 6 lanes. Driver of a car was speeding and drunk and ran into back of car and caused damages to him.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers