MIS 301 Chapter Notes - Chapter 11: Otis Elevator Company, Graphical User Interface, Enterprise Software

45 views4 pages

Document Summary

Computing hardware is getting faster and cheaper. Software: program or collection of programs that serve as instructions for hardware (touchable equipment) Computer cake has many layers: 1) hardware (at bottom, 2) operating system. Collection of programs controlling hardware i. e. windows, mac os x, linux: 3) applications i. e. microsoft office, oracle, ea sports/madden nfl, 4) users (at top) Os control computing hardware: makes it easier for users to interact with computer and programmer to write application software. Graphical user interface (ui) is displayed on hardware i. e. scroll bars and menus. Consistency is important in look, feel, and functionality across programs. Makes it easier for user to learn new software. Reduces training costs and operator error: provides programmers with common set of commands when interacting with hardware. Firmware and embedded systems: firmware: control programs stored on chips i. e. os in cell phone, ipod, etc, embedded systems: Makes product more efficient, reliable, functional (helps competitive advantage)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers