HDF 371 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Family Therapy, Midlife Crisis, Behavioural Genetics

52 views2 pages
Chapter 4: Families:
Is Conflict Between Teenagers and Parents Inevitable:
Self-fulfilling prophecy the idea that idiiduals ehaior is ifluees  others’ epetatios
for them.
Family Relationships at Adolescence:
Family systems theory a perspective on family functioning that emphasizes interconnections
among different family relationships (such as marital, parent-child, sibling)
Midlife crisis a psychological crisis over identity believed to occur between the ages of 35 and
, the age rage of ost adolesets’ parets.
Familism a orietatio toard life i hih the eeds of oe’s fail take preedee oer
the needs of the individual
Generational dissonance divergence of views between adolescents and parents that is
common in families of immigrant parents and American born adolescents.
Family Relationships and Adolescent Development:
Parental responsiveness one of the two important dimensions of parenting responsiveness
refers to the degree to hih the paret respods to the hild’s eeds i a aeptig,
supportive manner.
Parental demandingness one of two important dimensions of parenting; demandingness
refers to the degree to which the parent expects and insists on mature, responsible behaviors
from the child
Authoritative parents parents who use warmth, firm control, and rational, issue-oriented
discipline, in which emphasis is places on the development of self-direction.
Authoritarian parents parents who use punitive, absolute, and forceful discipline and who
place a premium on obedience and conformity.
Indulgent parents parents who are characterized by responsiveness by low demandingness
ad ho are ail oered ith the hild’s happiess.
Indifferent parents parents who are characterized by low levels of both responsiveness and
demandingness.
Behavioral Genetics and Adolescent Development:
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Self-fulfilling prophecy the idea that i(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior is i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)es (cid:271)(cid:455) others" e(cid:454)pe(cid:272)tatio(cid:374)s for them. Family systems theory a perspective on family functioning that emphasizes interconnections among different family relationships (such as marital, parent-child, sibling) Midlife crisis a psychological crisis over identity believed to occur between the ages of 35 and (cid:1008)(cid:1009), the age ra(cid:374)ge of (cid:373)ost adoles(cid:272)e(cid:374)ts" pare(cid:374)ts. Familism a(cid:374) orie(cid:374)tatio(cid:374) to(cid:449)ard life i(cid:374) (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h the (cid:374)eeds of o(cid:374)e"s fa(cid:373)il(cid:455) take pre(cid:272)ede(cid:374)(cid:272)e o(cid:448)er the needs of the individual. Generational dissonance divergence of views between adolescents and parents that is common in families of immigrant parents and american born adolescents. Parental responsiveness one of the two important dimensions of parenting responsiveness refers to the degree to (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h the pare(cid:374)t respo(cid:374)ds to the (cid:272)hild"s (cid:374)eeds i(cid:374) a(cid:374) a(cid:272)(cid:272)epti(cid:374)g, supportive manner. Parental demandingness one of two important dimensions of parenting; demandingness refers to the degree to which the parent expects and insists on mature, responsible behaviors from the child.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers