ANTH 2108 Chapter 1: Friendship and Flirting: Micro Politics in Kerala, South India

58 views2 pages

Document Summary

Friendship and flirting: micro politics in kerala, south india. Suggest that principle of hierarchy is not entirely unavoidable in social interaction in. India: analysis of harassment, flirting and romance, show that hierarchy can be played with, negated, intensified or reversed, ambiguity, ambivalence and interdeterminancy= highly important, context: society in kerala= conservative, highly segregated by sex, agriculture decline, pop. Benefits from literacy, health care and land redistribution: high caste families live in the interior i. ) Dalits/ low caste lives in the exterior: villagers differentiated by class too, young men and women both i. ) ii. ) Cross class mixing=hella common: harassment and tuning, throughout romance, gender hierarchy=reversed, confused, exaggerated or abandoned i. ) ii. ) Aggressi(cid:448)e harass(cid:373)e(cid:374)t= the stor(cid:455); there(cid:859)s also goal to (cid:271)e recognized as artistic, creative and romantic. A young man can be soft and romantic as well as an aggressive lout a. )

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers