BILD 3 Chapter Notes - Chapter 43: Evapotranspiration, Intact Forest Landscape, Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest

20 views2 pages

Document Summary

1. decomposition and nutrient cycling rates: decomposition is controlled by the same factors that limit primary production in aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems. Usually grow faster and decompose faster in warmer ecosystems a. i. Low concentration of nutrients in the soil of rain forests b/c of short cycling time. Slower when conditions are either too dry for decomposers to thrive or too wet to b. c. supply with enough oxygen: aquatic ecosystems decomposition in anaerobic muds can take 50+ years. 2. biogeochemical cycles: nutrient cycles that involve both biotic and abiotic components, 2 general categories a. i. Evaporation of water into precipitation over ocean and land a. i. 1: carbon cycle. Land water runs underground and back into the ocean a. i. Cellular respiration and burning of fossil fuels and wood goes into co2 in atmosphere which goes to photosynthesis for oxygen: nitrogen cycle a. i. Nitrogen in atmosphere goes into the ocean and through aquatic cycle comes out as ammonia a. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers