STATS 10 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Mutual Exclusivity, Empirical Probability, Venn Diagram

53 views5 pages
25 Mar 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Long-run relative frequencies used to describe processes where the outcome depends on chance. Introductory statistics i. e. flipping a coin, rolling a die. People are not good at identifying truly random samples/experiments, so we need to rely on outside mechanisms such as coin flips or random number tables random. No digit is more likely to appear than any other pseudo-random numbers. Numbers generated on the basis of a seed value, which is a number that starts the random sequence i. e. computer-generated random numbers simulations. Experiments used to produce empirical probabilities: these experiments are supposed to simulate the situatio(cid:374) the(cid:455)(cid:859)(cid:396)e e(cid:454)a(cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:374)g. More trials = empirical probability -> true probability probabilities. Always numbers between 0 and 1 (including 0 and 1) can be expressed as fractions, decimals, or percentages. 0 = event never happens; 1 = always happens complement. Probability that an event will not happen. 1 (probability that it will happen) syntax of probability. Events = uppercase letters = i. e. a.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers