MUSIC 2251 Chapter Notes - Chapter 56: Duke Ellington, Swing Era, Polyrhythm

47 views2 pages

Document Summary

Ch 56 - american intersections: jazz and blues traditions. Antecedents of jazz were west african music brought to the usa by slaves. Jazz bands swept the country from the 1890s to the 1940s. Slaves brought call and response and distinct inflections to the usa. Work songs - communal songs that synchronized the rhythm of work. Ring shouts - religious rituals that involved moving counterclockwise in a circle while praying, singing, and clapping. Featured blue notes - pitch blending sung over standard harmonic progressions (chord changes) Holiday had no formal training but was highly praised for her techniques and delivery. Swing/big-band - large bands who played songs that were fun to dance to. Ellington collaborated w strayhorn and they found much success. Melody = syncopated melodies with pitch inflections; free improvisations. Rhythm/meter = slow tempo, 4/4 meter; steady rhythmic accompaniment under more complex, flexible solo lines. Harmony = repeated harmonic progressions for each chorus (i-iv-i-v-i)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers