BIOL 1201 Chapter : BIOL 1201 Organic Molecules I 9 4

9 views3 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Organic molecules i: complex molecules containing a carbon-carbon bond, millions of organic molecules, composition largely c,o,h,n, but especially c, there are four major classes of organic molecules, carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids. Functional groups: groups of atoms attached to the carbon backbone of organic molecules, cause changes in chemical properties and physical characteristics i. e. polarity. Hydroxyl: hydroxide ions (oh) connected to the carbon backbone of organic molecules, polar functional group, since numerous oh ions are connected to the carbon backbone, makes the whole molecule polar and ready to dissolve in water. Carbonyl: c=o, carbon double-bonded to oxygen, aldehydes, the double bond to oxygen is located on the tail of the chain, ketones, the double bond to oxygen is located in the middle of the chain. Carboxyl: carbon double-bonded to oxygen and also bonded to a hydroxide, also known as the cooh group, carboxyl groups dissociate in water and form h+ ions, acidic i. e. fatty acids.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers