PSYC 3305 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, Menarche, Teratology

36 views16 pages
1 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Aging: body growth and development, patterns of growth a. i. Cephalocaudal pattern: fastest growth in the human body starts at the top (head) and moves down a. i. 1. Sensory and motor development follows this pattern (use hands before feet) a. i. 1. a. One study contradicted this by showing that many infants reach for toys with their feet a bit earlier than with their hands a. ii. Proximodistal pattern: growth sequence that starts at the center of the body and moved out to the extremities a. ii. 1. Infants can control their hands before controlling fingers: height and weight in infancy and childhood b. i. Most american newborns are 18-22 long and 5. 5-10 lb. Lose 5-7% of body weight in the first few days, then start rapidly gaining weight b. i. 3. Growth rate slows considerably in 2nd year b. ii. Slim down and trunks of body lengthens b. ii. 2. Girls have more fatty tissue, boys have more muscle tissue b. ii. 3. Ethnic origin and nutrition are big factors in height and weight b. ii. 4.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers