BSC-2010 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Tripeptide, Dehydration Reaction, Zwitterion

56 views5 pages
26 Aug 2016
School
Course

Document Summary

Polymer principles: polymers: many similar or identical building blocks linked by covalent bonds a. i. Three of the four classes of macromolecules are polymers: monomers: the repeated units in polymers ( building blocks ) b. i. Some monomers have other functions of their own: polymer synthesis (building a polymer): similar for all classes of macromolecules, condensation reaction (dehydration reaction): covalent addition of monomers to polymers d. i. Aided by enzymes: hydrolysis (breaking down a polymer): removal of a monomer from a polymer. e. i. Carbohydrates: carbs: include both sugars and polymers, monosaccharides: simplest carbs or simple sugars, disaccharides: double sugars two monosaccharides joined by a condensation reaction, polysaccharides: polymers of monosaccharides. If they have nonpolar side chains then they are hydrophobic. just the hydrogen: proline is unique because the side chain is attached twice; it makes two bonds with the other molecule. The molecule is not freely rotatable so it produces problems. e.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers