CMST 332 Chapter Notes - Chapter 12: Content Analysis, Grounded Theory, Construct Validity

36 views4 pages

Document Summary

Content analysis: content analysis: integrates data collection method/analytical tech. as a research design to measure occ. of some identifiable element in a complete text/set of msgs. Helps researchers make i(cid:374)fe(cid:396)e(cid:374)(cid:272)es (cid:271)(cid:455) id"i(cid:374)g spe(cid:272)ifi(cid:272) (cid:272)ha(cid:396)a(cid:272). of (cid:373)sgs i(cid:374) thei(cid:396) context of use. Must be objective ea. step carried out based on rules/procedures. Manifest content: description of the charac. of the content itself. Latent content: interp. about the content that imply something about the nature of the comm. /effects on comm: generality: findings must have theoretical relevance. Cull data set for the element of int: developing content categories. Useful distinctions made by researcher/based on prev. research. Must be exhaustive, equivalent, & mutually exclusive. Grounded theory approach categories derived directly from data (cid:862)othe(cid:396)(cid:863) (cid:272)atego(cid:396)ies a(cid:396)e a(cid:374) optio(cid:374: units of analysis. Unit of analysis: discrete thing that is coded/counted. Can be obvious/dependent on context of interaction. How to quantify coded content count for frequencies (most common way) Coders can rate the unit: training coders.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers