PSYCH253 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Implicit-Association Test

35 views2 pages

Document Summary

Attitude: a favourable or unfavourable evaluative reaction toward something or someone, exhi(cid:271)ited i(cid:374) o(cid:374)e"s (cid:271)eliefs, feeli(cid:374)gs, or i(cid:374)te(cid:374)ded (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iour. Attitudes do not predict behaviour as well as most people believe. Disjunction between attitudes and actions moral hypocrisy (appearing moral without being so) What (cid:272)o(cid:374)trols (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iour e(cid:373)phasized exter(cid:374)al so(cid:272)ial i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)es, su(cid:272)h as others" (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iour a(cid:374)d expectations, and played down internal factors, such as attitudes and personality. Our behaviour and expressed attitudes differ because both are subject to other influences. When social influences on what we say are minimal. When the attitude is specific to the behaviour. When the attitude is potent (strong and on our mind) Attitudes are specifically relevant to the observed behaviour. When does our behaviour affect our attitudes: role-playing, when saying becomes believing, foot-in-the-door, evil and moral acts, social movements. Behaviour determines attitudes (we stand up for what we believe but it is also true that we come to believe in what we stand up for)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers