AFM231 Chapter Notes - Chapter 28: Liability Insurance, Risk Premium, Insurance Policy

61 views3 pages
Chapter 28 Insurance (702-709)
Introduction
Insurance described in chapter 3, allows business to shift risk through an insurance policy an
contract of insurance
The insurer promises to compensate the insured should the contemplated loss actually
occur.
The insured pays risk premium in exchange
Insurance cannot stop all risks as it can be costly and is not always available
Some premium is so high its essentially unobtainable e.g. insurance for natural disasters
Insurance does not prevent a loss from occurring nor does it prevent the potential adverse publicity
that follows it
Insurance policy is a contract
Regulated by legislation in each of the provinces
Insurance legislation serves the following purpose:
Mandating the terms that must be found in insurance contracts
Regulating the insurance industry generally by setting out licensing requirements for
insurance companies, insurance brokers, and insurance adjusters
Putting in place a system for monitoring insurance companies, particularly with respect to
their financial operation
Basic kinds of insurance:
Life and disability insurance: provides payments on the death or disability of the insured
Properly insurance (fire insurance): provides payment when property is damaged through
accidents. Also cover machine breakdown
Liability insurance (casualty insurance): provides payment when insured is held legally
responsible for causing loss or damage to another, known as the third party
Aside from life insurance: insurance can include term for the insured to pay deductible- the insured
pays for first part of loss and the insurer has liability for the rest of the balance
Deductible lowers insurance premium
The Insurance Contract
Duty to Disclose
Insured has a duty to disclose the obligation to provide to the insurer all information that related
to the risk being insured
If certain issue is not disclosed, the insurer could refuse to honour the policy when the insured want
to claim it
Can deny coverage for non-disclosure even if the loss has nothing to do with the matter that
was left undisclosed (e.g. not stating I had a fire accident will cause me to not claim my
trespassing claim)
The law expects the insurer to e orldly ise ad to sho persoal judgeet
E.g. if a fire previous happened and I disclosed that I was playing matches but not go into
detail on how a match can cause a fire. The insurer is expected to make this connection.
A duty to disclose exists not just at the time of applying for the insurance- it is an ongoing duty
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Insurance cannot stop all risks as it can be costly and is not always available: some premium is so high its essentially unobtainable e. g. insurance for natural disasters. Insurance does not prevent a loss from occurring nor does it prevent the potential adverse publicity that follows it. Insurance policy is a contract: regulated by legislation in each of the provinces. Life and disability insurance: provides payments on the death or disability of the insured: properly insurance (fire insurance): provides payment when property is damaged through accidents. Insured has a duty to disclose the obligation to provide to the insurer all information that related to the risk being insured. It"s to pre(cid:448)e(cid:374)t people to i(cid:374)sure (cid:449)orthless property that they (cid:272)a(cid:374) destroy a(cid:374)d (cid:272)all for insurance. Indemnity: with exception of life insurance contract, insurance contracts are contracts of indemnity, e. g. cannot insure a property with two different insurance companies.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers