PSYC 2290 Chapter Notes - Chapter 11: Asian Canadians, Imaginary Audience, Ethnic Group

80 views3 pages

Document Summary

Answers to who am i? reflect a person"s self concept, which refers to the attitudes, behaviors, and values that a person believes make himself or herself a unique individual. Modern researchers believe that the foundation of self concept is the child"s awareness that he or she exists. When babies look at themselves in the mirror, they do not recognize that it is themselves. Self-awareness is established by 2 years of age. We know this because children see more photographs of themselves than other children, they refer to themselves by name or personal pronouns such as i or me, they sometimes know their age and gender. It provides opportunities for infants to explore how their arms and hand movements relate to the physical world. Soon after children are self-aware, autobiographical memory begins to emerge. Children"s growing awareness of self that is extended in time is also revealed by children"s understanding of ownership.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers