BPK 325 Chapter 3: UNIT 3 Reading

137 views7 pages

Document Summary

Functional: synarthroses: immovable joint (i. e. sagittal suture on skull, amphiarthroses: slightly moveable joint (i. e. inferior tibiofibuar articulation, diarthroses: freely movable (i. e. shoulder joint) Structural (in developing bones, ends of the bones can develop into three kinds of structural joints) Joins two bones together w/ collagenic fibers (fibrous connective tissue) Sutures: thin fibrous tissue layer that separates bones, i. e. immoveable joint between first rib and manubrium. And interlocking serrations on bones i. e. sutures in the skull. Syndesmosis: united by thick layer of dense fibrous tissue that separates bones slightly, amphiarthroses i. e. radioulnar joint. General structure of synovial joints: articular cartilage: spongy cushions composed of hyaline cartilage which covers opposing bones. Absorbs compressive forces on joints: articular cavity: a potential space that holds small amount of synovial fluid, articular capsule: double layer; outer fibrous layer and inner synovial membrane, encloses the articular cavity.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers