PSY 102 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8: Vocal Tract, Vocal Folds, Availability Heuristic

54 views5 pages

Document Summary

Thinking any mental activity or processing of information; includes learning, remembering, perceiving, communicating, believing and deciding aka cognition. Our brains are cognitive misers they often take mental shortcuts. Simplifies what we attend to, minimize info needed for decision making. Language: system of communication combining symbols i. e. words, gestures follows rules and creates meaning. Tends to be arbitrary no clear relation in meaning (i. e. tarantula is smaller than pig but has longer name) The features of language: phenomes sounds of language. Language dialects variations used by group of people within same geographic or ethnic background. Onomatopoeia word that imitates a sound (i. e. bang, buzz, meow) Sound symbolism certain sounds associated with meaning. Auditory system is developed by 5-months gestation can recognize mother"s voice and native language, specific songs and stories. Babbling intentional vocalization lacking specific meaning, enables babies to learn how to use their vocal cords to make specific sounds.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers