PSYC 241 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8: Social Exchange Theory, Kin Selection, Minimax

35 views8 pages

Document Summary

Altruism: a (cid:373)oti(cid:448)e to i(cid:374)(cid:272)rease a(cid:374)other"s (cid:449)elfare (cid:449)ithout (cid:272)o(cid:374)s(cid:272)ious regard for o(cid:374)e"s self- interests. In the long run helping benefits the giver as well as the receiver. Human interactions are guided by social economics. We exchange social goods-love, services, info, status. Social exchange theory: the theory that human interactions are transactions that aim to. In doing so we use minimax strategy: minimize costs, maximize rewards (cid:373)a(cid:454)i(cid:373)ize o(cid:374)e"s re(cid:449)ards a(cid:374)d (cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:373)ize o(cid:374)e"s (cid:272)osts. We constantly weigh the costs and benefits to every situation (ex: giving blood: cost; ti(cid:373)e, (cid:374)eedle (cid:271)e(cid:374)efit: feel good a(cid:271)out (cid:455)ourself, help others) When businesses donate money to improve corporate images the reward is external (we give to get) We are most eager to help someone who is attractive to us. Volunteering benefits morale and health especially when self-initiated rather than forced. Making donations activates brain areas linked with reward. Generous people are happier than those whose spending is self-focused.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers