POLS 320 Chapter Notes - Chapter week 5 : Aboriginal Title, Indian Register, Nass River

64 views7 pages

Document Summary

Citizens plus: aboriginal peoples and the canadian state. Hawthord - was the leading academic and research organizer of the project in the mid-1960s that advocated the citizens plus label as the appropriate status for the indian peoples under federal jurisdiction. Indians, the hawthorn report asserted, should be regarded as citizens. In addition to the normal rights and duties of citizenship, indians possess certain additional rights as charter members of the canadian community. I was involved in the research and writing of the hawthorn report, and in the discussions that led to the citizens plus recommendation. Accordingly, the reader is warned that my initial commitment to the concept survives, whether as a na ve unwillingness to let go of my own past, or as a laudable allegiance to a concept that merits resurrection. The hawthorn report was the first major post-wwii canada-wide inquiry to assert that assimilation was neither an unquestioned goal nor an appropriate policy.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers